METRO TRAIN IN KOLKATTA
Metro Railway, Kolkata is the first underground Metro Railway in India.
It extends from Dum-Dum near Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose airport,
Kolkata to Tollygunj, the busy north south axis of Kolkata over a length
of 16.45 Kms.
There are Seventeen Stations en route at about one km apart.
The Metro Railway Kolkata was constructed progressively from
1972 to 1995, Phase-I a length of 3.04 Kms. from Esplanade to Bhowanipur
having been completed in 1984. Full length of 16.45 Kms was
commissioned in 1995.
Past in a nutshell...
1873 :- The attempt to run a tramways service between Sealdah and Armenian Ghat Street of route length 2.4 mile was made on Feb 24 The service was not adequately patronised and was wound up on Nov 20.
1880 :- The Calcutta Tramways co ltd was formed and registered in London on 22nd Dec , Meter -gauge horse-drawn tram track between Sealdah to Armenian Ghat via Bowbazar Street, Dalhousie Sq. Customs House and Strand Road was laid . The route was inaugurated on 1st nov 1880.
1882 :- Steam locomotives were deployed experimentally to haul tramcars. By the end of the nineteenth century the Company owned 186 tramcars, 1000 horses, 7 steam locomotives and 19 miles of tram tracks.
1900 :- Electrification of Tramways and simultaneous reconstruction of tracks to the standard gauge (4'-8½ '') was taken up. By the end of 1905 the entire system was converted to an electric traction.
1905 :- Howrah station to Bandhaghat section for tramways was opened in June. Lines to Sibpur via G.T. Road was made ready in 1908.
1943 :- The Calcutta system was connected with Howrah section through the new Howrah bridge in Feb with this extension , the total track length reached 42.09 miles (67.73Kms).
1951 :-The Govt. of West Bengal entered into an agreement with the Calcutta Tramways Co and the Calcutta Tramways Act, 1951 was enacted . The Govt took over all rights with regard to Tramways and reserved the right to purchase the system on 1st Jan, 1972 or any time thereafter giving two years notice.
1967 :- The Govt of West Bengal passed the Calcutta Tramways Company (Taking Over of Management ) Act, 1967 and took over the management on 19th July 1967. On November 8th,
1976 the Calcutta Tramways (Acquisition of Undertaking) Ordinance , 1976 was promulgated under which the Company with all its assets vested with the government.
1970 :-The Howrah sections were closed down in Oct 1970 and Dec 1971/1973 Nimtala Ghat route was closed down in May 1973. The total track length was reduced to 38.58 miles (62.08kms).
1985 :-On April 17, extension of track was completed connecting Maniktala to Ultadanga Station via Maniktala Main road (3.7 kms) This is the first Tramways extension since 1947.
1986 :- On Dec 31 further extension of tram track from Behala to Joka was completed.
1992 :- Calcutta Tramways Company has taken a new venture by introducing Bus services from 4th November 1992 initially with a fleet of 40 buses.
Down the memory lane, when the tram made its maiden journey from Sealdah to Armenian ghat, It left everyone spell bounded. In course of time,the trams has gone through vast modernisations but still it has rolled down the tracks like the tickings of Bigben. Having witnessed our glorious past in the rails,this tireless heritage has itself unfurled another golden chapter in our historical book.No doubt Kolkatan tram can be designated as a priceless pride having served as a rail witness from the era of Governor generals,maharajas to our present Kolkata & without which the Kolkatan history would remain incomplete. Kolkata Tramways-' wheels that writes & sights our glorious past,present & our future too'